© Global Journal Of Agricultural Sciences . 2005. Vol. 5 No. 1
Publisher: Bachudo Science Co. Ltd
Abundance of Pseudotolithus Elongatus In The Niger Delta Area- A Case Study In The Cross River Estuary
J. T. Abraham, P. A. Akpan, E. M. Ikpeme
KEYWORDS: Abundance, P. elongatus, Niger Delta. Sampled, Juveniles
ABSTRACT:A study on the abundance of Pseudotolithus elongatus was carried out in the Cross River estuary. A total of 3113. Pseudotofithus efongatus weighing 143.6kg were sampled. These values represented 56.17 percent of total catch of fish samplewhich weighed 255.66kg. The remaining 112,01:lkg or 43.83 percent were contributed by Callinectes sp., Chrysichthys nigrodigitatus. Polygactus sp and Ethmalosa fimbriata. Total length of Pseudotolithus elongatus sampled range between 4cm and 38cm. Sample were made up of mostly juveniles. The mean catch-per~unit effort of 40 individuals per boat and 1.8kg per boat were obtained for Pseudotgilithus elongates during the period under survey. The highest monthly catch -per-unit effort of 80.66 individuals per boat or 3,63kg per boat were obtained in the dry season. The yield for a given effort was generally low. Pseudotolithus elongatus is more abundant during the dry season months of the year than in the wet season.
OTHER ITEMS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOUEcotaxonomic Baseline Evaluation Of The Plant Species In A Seasonally Flooded Forest Land Proposed For A Rivgas Refinery Project In Ase-ndoni, Rivers State, NigeriaSeasonal Variations In The Composition And Distribution Of Planktonic Fauna In The Eastern Lagos Lagoon, NigeriaAssessment Of The Toxicity Of Radiographic Developer Effluent On Catfish (heterobranchus Longifilis)The Checklist And Abundances Of Small Mammals In Idu, Akwa Ibom State, NigeriaAn Evaluation Of Infestation Of Insect Pests Of Flours In Benin City, Edo State, Nigeria